mercoledì 25 luglio 2012

Left in Ruins




1) I begin with the usual question....hello guys make a short introduction of the band!
...after 20 minutes of early bullshits, finally we can start

Olly: fucking god! We're Left in ruins from Trento. The band was born in the summer of 2010 and I recorded a demo with Piff. A shit demo, but it was very cool! And we have released it at Fluff Fest, in paperbags for shits of dog and than we went to the singer of Trash talk and we said him: "This is for you!" and on the cover it was drawn a divine eye made of shit and two crossed forks.
Piff: yes, that has nothing to do with that..
Olly:...than are arrived in the band, Leo and Yuri, to play the drum and the bass. Than we made an Ep with 8 tracks, we went on tour and now we are ready to recorder new songs, with Cap and Mattia.

 
2) Why have you decided to form this band?

Piff: me and Olly have been friends for long time, we always have our bands but me and Olly didn't share the same band.
Olly: we wanted form a new band. A band that in Italy doesn't exist.

3) Playing on tour, both in Europe, both in Italy, where place do you prefer?

Olly: the only one place in which people was cold it was in Italy. The top of the top for the hospitality was in Hungary. Budapest was one of the best experience for the human side.
Piff: also in Germany! We arrived in a town only an hour before the concert and we didn't play there , but they've find a place for us, food, drinks and 50 euro.
Olly: when you're on tour it is all good. The only bad thing that has happened is our non-transit over the serbian border. Go on tour is the best thing in the world. In may we start again!

 
4) Piff some years ago you write a fanzine, now you're making a new one, tell us about the old and the new project

Piff: Fuck God! I wrote the old fanzine when I was 16-17 and I called it "619", because Red Misterio was my Idol. It was a cool thing beacause I made it only by myself...If I read it today..it seems a fanzine, written by a kid excited for the punk.
The interviews were to: Die, Coloss, Raw Power, Kalashnikov and Paolino Paperino.
Olly: but in my opinion, it's a very cool fanzine. There is the comic "real punk" that is too cool.
Piff: I wrote only a number because I'm a lazy dork....but it remains always the desire to make a fanzine again. Last year I disclose the same intentions by Gabri.
The point is that I remain the same lazy dork and gabri is worse than me. Therefore, a year after, isn't yet go out..An interview again and it's complete! Its name will be "Starts something".
The Interviews will be: Maio of La Crisi, Antiyou, Light Up, Tuono Pettinato and Lyon Estates.
Olly: Therefore I must to write my reviews and the vegan recepts...a day I'll manage!
 
4) What are your latest Listenings, not only hardcore?

Piff: The Aereosols, an american band under the Youth Attack and they make a mix of Dropdead and Till it up. Than the Movie Start Junkies, that I believe they are the best italian band at the moment and they aren't hc.
Cap: Nooo, than you make fun of me!!
Olly: Bonny Ver, ambient music for Hypster. The best band live: Rotting Out.
Mattia: I don't know. All kind of music. The first album of Maurizio Bianchi (industrial/Sludge), than I like Naked City enough and they have influenced me a lot.
Cap: all kind of music. I listen very much to the Bluesbrothers Soundtrack, that I received from Piff. Than I range from the hip hop to dance. But I Listen also to a lot of old powerviolence...band recommended by Sam (Prune Belly)...the Libertines for example.
Piff: can I say the skeleton in my closet? The first cd of Carla Bruni is very cool
Cap: so do I! We never arrive at the third songs, that we become to sleep, me and Piff together and we wake up in the morning!
Olly: the new Ep of This Routine is Hell is a fantastic thing in my opinion. Indeed I ask them if they play with us in Holland...but they still respond to me. Fuck God!

 
5) Choice of a subject of topical interest: you suggested me “vegetarian ethic”! 
 
Olly: I’ve been vegan for 3 years. It’s something that goes beyond the concept of diet as it’s strictly linked to anti-fascism and animal rights. Unfortunately people often do not understand it. My girlfriend and I have started a project of “catering” that we thought out at Fluff Fest: “Shit is Vegan”
Cap: I’ve been vegetarian for a couple of years and i didn’t expect me to be able to do that. But here I am!
Piff: I haven’t eaten meat for 4-5 years but I’m not vegan as Olly. At home I use to eat vegan food but when I’m out I eat vegetarian food…probably because I’m a fat guy.
But animalists have pissed me off: they are focused only on a single topic. For example the LAV (anti-vivisection league) allows fascists to do demonstrations and doesn’t care about what kind of people they are, exept the fact that they are fighting for the animal rights. Another example is a group on Facebook that is fanatic only about this subject and doesn’t give a fuck about everything else.
Mattia: i’m an omnivore but for me is not problematic to eat vegan or vegetarian food. I don’t share the idea of defending animal rights. the man is a rational being and this fact separates him from the animal itself. The animal is instinctual and doesn’t have the faculty of reasoning. I do not deny the fact that you can become affectionate to an animal but it’s always something starting from the man. However it doesn’t justify the intensive breeding, the dangerous feed and the commercialization of meat. The industrial production is in part justified by the increase in the amount of population, even if on the other hand it’s not very ethical. The economic interests prevail, we live in the society of “waste” that is built on the principle of consume. For example an obese person that eats without an aim. However what you have asked us demands a complicate reasoning that implies much time. I believe that the technological process is good as far as moral principles are maintained. A man that is integrated in nature and that is able to follow it. Agriculture and breeding at a familiar level and not at the level of massification and industrialization. Eventually the elimination of a part of the population. 
 
6) Piff: The overpopulation is a big problem: we aren't able to live, without exploiting other people

[Now follows a long talk about industrialization by Cap and he shows how the industrialization (not the Meat Industry) might be a solution for this problem. Than follows an another tedious talk about what is true and wrong, by Olly and Mattia....all this will be available in the italian version]
Piff: My opinion is well explained in an interview to Doom: we must lern what's the meaning of the word "respect". Respect for the environment and for all the organisms.
Cap: respect like freedom of action,making and thinkig, and respect for the neighbour.
[Follows a long talk of the mass extinction]
Olly: I believe that is one of the worse interview, and does demonstrate that we're handicap people. The most beautiful talk is of Mattia, it's a pity I don't share it.


7) Who writes the songs? Who the music?

Olly: First times for the first three songs it was easier and we were only me and Piff and Cap, than are arrived Leo and Yuri.
We started with the idea of don't be a serious band...than the things are changed and we musted to decide the things in four people. In all the follow formations there were me and Piff....now we're again in four and it's a mess.
Piff and Olly: that we've learned in these years, playing in several bands,is that in our music is very important to vae a line, although we have nothing of original. We don't have a band, who we must bound to it. Absolutely.

 
9) Intransigence in Hardcore

Mattia: in my opinion thus is bounded to a risk to be considered by other people.
You try to be consistent with that certain thought, you try to do the things diy, according that manner and who don't do in this way, is critized and you doing it, because you have fear of this criticism.
Piff: several years, when I was a kid, I really oft had fear of the common-minded in music of anarchists. I was intimidated a little for this thing.
Banal example: I never found wrong to play also in a bar, while the most "hardline" critized me the fact that I musted play only in squats or similar places.
Me: I understand you. I don't understand this thing at all, me too. In a hc concert in an occupied place, all of us more or less we well know what are the topics treated, but I don't believe that is so wrong that an hc band play in a bar, because here there is a diversified public, maybe "extraneous", that can receive your message and maybe thinking about it with time.
Olly: the last time I have feared is happened not many months ago. When I realized that I didn't must to organize a concert in a place at Trento. I don't like when I can't do what I want, keeping my consistency. Theese things are all personal things: in my opinion diy is a thing, be vegan is a thing and political ideas are another things. Receive criticisms is normal, but when a person says that you're a shit because you organize a concert, he cross a determined barrier.
Mattia: I believe that not give a damn of judgements is true, buat is well to accept the opinions.

  
10) Big label or small diy labels?

Me: Olly, you have said first that you have any problems assigning the production of your album to a great label and you criticize the diy co-releasers,that is dozens small labels that co-releasing with odd coins. In my opinion the interesting part of diy is that theese small labels aren't bounded at profit, but instead to the band. In addition fast every band has his own small label and also many simple listeners, insomuch as the distribution results widespread, spontaneous and totally uninterested in launching the last trend of the moment.
The co-productions diy are all at the same level and doesn't exist a hierarchy, like in the case of the biggest labels and mainstream labels.
On the contrary the biggest labels are something not spontaneous, concentrated, from which branching off the severals distributions, that try to earn as much as possible.
Obviously the diy distribution need improvements and in my opinion they can result as a very effective alternative at the great distributions. The lack is surely a bigger communication between the several realities, both at a national level, and especially at european and international level generally.

Olly: I think that the issue about the widespread distribution can be faced after you get the records from the press. The problem is that usually a band search in the co/production a way to spent less money as possible.
For our next 7” we thinking about put a limit to the economic help, because i don't mind having a bunch of italian labels that attends the same events and everyone own my cds... would be different if that label were more scattered around europe.
I bring the experience with my old band, The Consequence: we went to the gigs and we didn't sell or trade our records because everyone already own it.
Have a label that put 200 or 500 euro and that spent a lot of time spreading the voice and selling record to regain the money is more better than a small label that put 20 euro and doesn't do anything to promote the record because with 3-4 copies sold it has already recovered the outlay.

http://www.facebook.com/leftinruins
http://leftinruins.wordpress.com/
leftinruinshc@gmail.com

Breathless, Restless, Hopeless. New EP 2012

Left in Ruins demo 2011

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento